Monday, April 16, 2012

Pie # 31: Sour Cream - Blackberry Pie


This pie is being added to my "favorites" list immediately after I tell you about it. I've been getting tired of all the custard pies lately and craved some fruit this weekend. I called my mom and offered to empty her freezer. She gave me Boysen Berries. Not my favorite - but at this point, I'll take what I can get! This pie was such a success that it didn't even last 24 hours. I'm currently down to my last piece since I shared at work, the bf's work and with my parents. Make this for yourself and see how wonderful Boysen Berries can be! (Or any other berry you have around your house - fresh or frozen.)

Sour Cream - Blackberry Pie
(Printable Version)

Crust:
All Shortening Crust (1/2 recipe)

Filling:
2 large eggs
2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest (I used lemon instead)
Big pinch of salt
3 cups fresh or frozen berries

Streusel Topping
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter



Prebake your crust and cool completely.

Whisk eggs in large bowl until frothy. Add sour cream, sugar, flour, vanilla, orange zest, and salt. Whisk again until blended. Spread berries evenly in cooled pie shell. Slowly pour sour cream mixture over the berries.


Make streusel: combine flour and brown sugar in small bowl and mix with fork. Add butter, stirring with fork until topping is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the sour cream filling.


Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. (I baked mine for 45 minutes because I used frozen berries.) when done, the filling will puff slightly and will no longer seem liquid-loose. Transfer to wire rack and cool. Serve at room temperature or chill in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment