Monday, July 30, 2012

Pie # 52: Sour Cherry and Peach Pie


I saved this for last because I love peaches and I love sour cherries. Naturally, they are perfect combination.  I discovered after I placed this pie in the oven, that the original recipe actually calls for a crumb crust topping... I can't wait to try that next time!

On another note, this is officially my last pie! (Finally!) Lot's of big changes are about to occur in the next year... I turned 25 (today), I start a new job in a few weeks, and I am now planning to attempt a new bread recipe each week. I will start this new "bread" experiment as soon as I return to the States. (My current job is also pretty awesome, as it has paid for me to work in London for the Olympics.) I'm looking forward to this new adventure and everything it brings to the table - literally and figuratively. Until next time, enjoy this final pie recipe.

Sour Cherry and Peach Pie
Shout-out to Ken Haedrich for the great recipe!
(Printable version)

Crust:
All-Shortening Crust

Filling:
4 cups peeled and sliced peaches
2 cups sour cherries
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
Big pinch of nutmeg




Combine all the filling ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shell. Cover with a lattice top crust and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45 - 60 minutes longer or until the filling is bubbly.


Again, this pie is excellent for breakfast. Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream so you get dairy along with fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment