Monday, July 16, 2012

Pie # 45: Mock Apple Pie


A few different people had recommended this recipe to me before I found it in my favorite pie recipe book (Pie by Ken Haedrich.) I promise you, even though there are zero apples in this pie, it definitely tastes like an Apple Pie.

Mock Apple Pie
(Printable version)

Crust:
All Shortening Crust Recipe
(I bought a crust because I made this for a party... I definitely wasn't going to waste a homemade crust on drunk people.)

Filling:
36 Ritz Crackers, coarsely broken
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon




Prepare your pie shell. Pour crackers into unbaked pie shell.

Bring water, sugar and cream of tartar to boil in a medium-size saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and zest. Cool to lukewarm.

Slowly pour the cooled syrup over the cracker crumbs in the pie shell. Dot the filling with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover with rolled out pie crust and cut vents.

Bake at 425 for 30 - 35 minutes.

Trust me - it tastes just like apples :)


No comments:

Post a Comment