Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pie # 26: Sugar Cream Pie


WOW. This was my first experience with Sugar Cream Pie and it certainly won't be the last. I made this recipe for dessert tonight and couldn't be more thrilled with the outcome. Sugar Cream Pie is so good. It's rich, creamy, and not over-the-top sugary. If you're like me and never tried this pie, I highly recommend you add this to your "Make Tomorrow" list. Thanks, Kirsten for sharing an awesome recipe!

Sugar Cream Pie
(Printable version)

Crust::
1 9-inch pie crust (unbaked)
I used the all-shortening recipe

Filling:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cups flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pint whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
cinnamon or nutmeg




Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt and whipping cream. Stir over medium heat until mixture becomes slightly thickened.

Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into unbaked pie shell.


Dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. (I only used cinnamon because I'm not a huge fan of nutmeg.) Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20-30 more minutes or until golden on top. Cool completely and then chill in refrigerator for a few hours before serving.

Not my prettiest pie but definitely full of flavor!
De. Light. Ful.

No comments:

Post a Comment