Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pie # 25: Apple Raspberry Pie


Yikes - where have I been for the past few months? New York (twice) Austin, TX and Las Vegas. Life and work keep getting in the way of my pie-baking as well as my pie-blogging. Thank goodness Pi Day rolled around to remind me to get started again. Today's recipe was a random decision. I stole found two cups of frozen raspberries at my mom's house and tossed them into my Classic Apple Pie recipe for a new twist. Needless to say, it was successful.

Apple Raspberry Pie
(Printable version)

Crust:
All-Shortening Crust

Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar (I used slightly more)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tea nutmeg
1/2 tea cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 cups peeled/sliced apples

2 cups raspberries (frozen or fresh)
2 tablespoons butter 





Combine apples and raspberries with sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
Pour into bottom crust. Dot with butter before placing top crust over filling. Seal edges.
Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and bake for 45-60 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment