Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pie # 36: Pineapple Rhubarb Pie



Years ago when I was still in high school, the woman who brought equipment parts to our farm brought a Pineapple Rhubarb Pie to share. I thought it was delicious. That memory is what inspired me to search the internet for the perfect Rhubarb/Pineapple combination. If you like sweet and tart pies, bake this in the next few weeks while rhubarb is still in season. I’m lucky enough that my neighbor shared his rhubarb directly out of his field. Thanks to Tom and Sheila for letting me steal harvest some of your crop!

Rhubarb Pineapple Pie (as seen on AllRecipes)
 


Crust:

Filling:
1 1/3 cups sugar (After tasting the pie, I would use ¾ cup sugar instead… This is a pretty sweet pie.)
1/3 cup flour
½ teaspoon orange zest
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup drained crushed pineapple




Preheat oven to 425⁰.



In medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, orange zest and salt. Combine rhubarb and pineapple; stir into dry ingredients until blended. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Cover with pie crust.



Bake at 425⁰ for 45 – 50 minutes or until rhubarb is tender when pierced with a fork and filling is bubbly.


No comments:

Post a Comment