Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pie # 38: Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie



When I was little, this is the first pie I envisioned when anyone said they were “baking a pie.” It has been a family-favorite for as long as I can remember – I was so excited last week when I made it successfully on my own. This tastes wonderful with fresh or frozen rhubarb.

Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie
Recipe handed down from my mother who found it in Blue Ribbon Winners

Crust:

Filling:
3 tablespoons flour
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups rhubarb cut into ½-inch pieces








Preheat oven to 400⁰.


In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in egg, sour cream, vanilla and lemon extract. Mix well.


Fold in rhubarb; pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350⁰ and bake for 25 minutes. (Meanwhile, prepare crumb topping: combine all topping ingredients in bowl until crumbly.)


Remove pie from oven and sprinkle topping evenly. Bake for 15 more minutes or until topping is browned.


Cool before serving and store in refrigerator.

1 comment: