Monday, October 31, 2011

Better Homes and Gardens Pie Crust

Reason #128,974,957 I'm a terrible blogger: This is the only photo I took of the entire process.

Before I begin, I'd like to reiterate that there is a reason why I make the same pie crust each time. It's easy. It works for me. I know how it's supposed to look and feel. When it comes to pie crust, I'm a big believer in finding what works for you and sticking with it. Now that I'm blogging about pie, however, I'm forced to try new recipes - even when I don't want to. So here it is: a new crust recipe. (Don't get your hopes up.) Although I had mediocre results, maybe this will be "your" crust recipe.

Every Day Pie Crust
(Makes enough for 2 single-crust pies)
(Printable version)

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold butter (1 stick)
1/4 shortening
3 tablespoons ice water
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
(I know: that's a lot of ingredients. Should have been my first clue.)

Combine dry flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter and shortening using a pastry blender.

Combine eggs, water, and vinegar in a separate, small bowl. Add to flour mixture.

EPIC fail: I had to keep adding water to get anything to stick together and by then, it was too late. I had "manhandled" the dough waaaaaaaay too much; the result was a tough crust. Not light and flaky like it's supposed to be.

To pre-bake: (I did this, because I used this crust for my pumpkin pie.)
Preheat oven to 425. Place rolled out pie crust into pie plate; using a fork, prick the bottom of the crust 3-5 times. Line with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 6-8 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment