Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pie # 11: Key Lime Pie


I've only had this pie once or twice before I made it myself. When my parents came back from Arizona last weekend with fresh key limes in hand, I knew this pie was in my near future. The filling is tart, but the graham cracker crust and whipped cream add a nice balance. Definitely an easy recipe with great results!

Recipe from: Epicurious
(Printable version)

Crust:

Filling: (Seriously, only 3 ingredients!)
3/4 cup fresh key lime juice
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 (8 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk

Prepare crust.

Squeeze limes and collect 3/4 cup juice.


Add sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Whisk well.


Pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.


Cool on wire rack until pie reaches room temperature. Chill in refrigerator overnight.


Top with whipped cream and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Gah! Megan, I'm so excited about this. Our new home, in Florida, has a key lime tree outside! I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexa - It's such a good recipe and soooo easy! Let me know how it turns out :) Definitely make your own whipped cream too: Beat 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream on high until peaks form. Add normal sugar and a teeny-tiny bit of vanilla to taste.

    ReplyDelete