Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pie # 15: Chicken Pot Pie


As I write this post, the pie is actually baking in the oven. Please be impressed - usually I don't blog about a pie until 2 weeks after I actually ate it! A lack of procrastination is new for me :)

Yesterday, I asked my roommate/soulmate what kind of pie she wanted me to make and she requested Chicken Pot Pie. I'll be honest: this pie barely made my list because I love dessert. If it were up to me, I'd eat fruit pie for every meal of the day. However, I've had several people ask me about Chicken Pot Pie so it made the cut. I found this recipe on Our Best Bites (seriously, check them out! Everything I've made from this website is awesome). (Printable Version)

Crust:
All-Shortening Crust (Also from Our Best Bites!)

Filling:
5 medium potatoes (I used 8 small spuds)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 onion
1 lb leftover rotisserie chicken
1 tbsp butter
1 12 oz (frozen) bag peas and carrots (always makes me think of Forrest Gump)
salt and pepper to taste


Bring large pot of water to boil on stove. Dunk potatoes in there until they are soft when pierced with a fork. (This took longer than anticipated.) Chop up potatoes once they're done.




Heat butter in skillet. When bubbling, add diced onion until it's transparent and smells awesome. (If you're a weirdo about onions - like I am - feel free to zap them in the food processor a few times so they don't have that terrible texture. That's why my photo looks like I'm sauteing white mush.)




In large bowl, mix together soup, cut-up chicken, peas, carrots, onion and potatoes. Pour into unbaked pie shell.


It's important to enjoy yourself while you bake/cook :)
Top with pie crust, crimp edges together and cut vents in top. Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Enjoy some warm comfort food.


1 comment:

  1. Your dad is insisting that I make this for him. So... I will be using a chicken from the neighbor boy, Tom's potatoes and carrots, my onion and the soup. I am sure it will be a party in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete