Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pie # 17: Roommate Pie (Grandma Ople's Apple Pie)


I received this recipe from my roommate and best friend who has been raving about it for years. Since my goal was to gain 10 pounds make awesome desserts for Thanksgiving, I whipped up this pie last weekend. It's an easy recipe with phenomenal results. If you like apple pie, you need to make this tomorrow (or tonight if you're up for it). Keep in mind: this isn't a "basic" apple pie; the recipe is different than any other I've ever seen. (Printable Version)

Crust:
All-Shortening Crust

Filling: (from All Recipes.com)
8 Granny Smith Apples (I used 9)
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in butter to form paste Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to boil. Reduce temperature and simmer for 5 minutes.


Fill bottom pie crust with sliced apples. Cover with lattice top.



Slowly, pour the sugar and butter mixture over the lattice top. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees; reduce heat to 350 and bake for 35-45 minutes.

...And at this point I would normally post pictures of the finished product but they are on my mom's camera (maybe you could email those to me, Mom?) so you're out of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment